The supervision of classes whose normal teacher is absent for a specific short-term reason e.g. attending meetings, courses or absent because of a minor illness. The cover supervisor is not expected to take responsibility for teaching pupils in a covered lesson. Cover Supervisors will have high expectations of all pupils and respect for their social, cultural, linguistic, religious and ethnic backgrounds. There will be an expectation of a minimum four covers per day.
Duties to include:
1. Seating and registering pupils electronically for the covered class.
2. Handing out work left by the teacher who is absent or by the Teaching and Learning Coordinator for that subject area and supervising the completion of that work in accordance with school policy.
3. Managing the behaviour of pupils whilst they are undertaking work to ensure a constructive environment, this includes following the whole school behaviour policy for dealing with incidents.
4. Responding to any questions from pupils about process and procedure.
5. Dealing with any immediate problems or emergencies according to the school’s policies and procedures.
6. Collecting any completed work after the lesson, if so instructed, and returning it to the appropriate teacher along with details of pupil attendance.
7. Reporting back as necessary using the school’s agreed referral procedures on the behaviour of pupils during the class, and any issues arising.
8. Attending whole school staff meetings and training as appropriate.
Pupil supervisor (outside lessons)
You will be expected to devote time out of your working day for the supervision of pupils outside lesson times.
Duties to include:
1. Supervisory duties after school and during break time for one day each week in association with a team of duty staff.
2. Rare registration and supervision of forms at 08.50 when the form teacher is unavailable.
3. Three days of supervision of students at lunchtime between 12:35 and 13:15 in association with a team of duty staff.
The role of exam invigilator will supersede all other tasks at those times dictated by the Exams Officer and when public examinations are taking place and when students are coming in from study leave to sit mock examinations. There will be occasions when invigilation goes on after normal school hours.
Duties to include:
1. Invigilation of exams and maintaining the rules set by the external examination boards and in house regulators as requested.
2. Acting as amanuensis and/or reader for pupils where necessary.
Providing administrative support to departments as required, admin support to include:
1. Photocopying for departments
2. Preparing and upkeep of display boards
3. Collection and distribution of department text books
4. General admin support such as binding of booklets, filing, responding to routine correspondences, preparation of resources, minute taking at department meetings, routine maintenance of equipment.
The post holder will work on administrative tasks when all claims from the preceding categories have been discharged.
1. Be aware of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
2. Be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all.
3. Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
4. Appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
5. Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
6. Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
Health & Safety:
The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and amendments state it is responsibility of all employees to comply with Health and Safety Law. The post holder will be required to attend all statutory Health & Safety training as directed.
Staff and Pupil information is confidential. It is a condition of employment that all employees will not use or disclose any confidential information obtained during the course of their duties to any person or body other than as directed by their Line Manager.
Job descriptions will be reviewed annually and there is the expectation that the post holder will have the capacity for flexibility. The post holder will be expected to comply with all reasonable requests from the Headteacher to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in their job description.
This post requires an enhanced DBS check
. A good general standard of education, including English and maths
. A working knowledge of IT applications, including word processing
. Any relevant qualifications for working in a school based environment e.g. safeguarding training
. Any relevant administrative qualifications or training
. Experience of working with children/young people of the relevant age
. Previous experience of working in a school or educational environment
. Experience of working in a team in a support role
. Experience of carrying out administrative tasks such as entering data into an IT system or compiling documents
. Previous teaching or teaching assistant roles
. Administrative support roles
. Team leader in a job role
. Previous PE or Outdoor Education experience
. Ability to organise and prioritise tasks effectively
. Ability to demonstrate the flexibility and “can do” attitude required in a role that is critical to the Academy
. Good numeracy and literacy skills in Maths and English
. Competence in the use of ICT to support teaching and learning
. Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and within a team
. Ability to manage pupils in a classroom setting
. Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
. Ability to use initiative
. Ability to work well under pressure
. Ability to organise time between different parts of the role
. Flexibility and adaptability
. Good team player
. Sense of humour
. Ability to work with a range of staff from teaching staff, other associate staff and senior leaders
The Selection Process
In most cases, essential criteria as identified by the person specification must be met in full. This includes qualifications, experience and any other requirements need to perform the role in relation to working with children and young people.
To be successful, you will need to demonstrate during the recruitment process that you have these skills.
Assessment of suitability to work with children
During the selection process, your suitability to work with children and young people will be tested. This will be by means of specific questioning based on the essential and desirable criteria identified in the person specification as well as specific safeguarding questioning at interview.
Keswick School MAT will contact current and previous employers if you are shortlisted as part of the pre-appointment check.
Upon shortlisting, any discrepancies or anomalies in the information provided or issues arising from references will be discussed at interview.
This may include unexplained gaps in employment history.
Keswick School MAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children and young people. There is an explicit expectation that all employees share this commitment and adhere to all safeguarding policies and procedures.
Sources of assessment
. Application form
. Performance at interview
. Verification of qualification
. Original documents are required to be presented at interview when they are identified as essential criteria
It is the intention of Keswick School MAT that no member of its community will suffer unfair discrimination on the basis of their sex, age, racial origin, physical ability, educational need, sexual orientation, political persuasion or religious creed. Whether they are married or in a civil partnership, pregnant or on maternity leave or propose to, have started or have completed a process to change their gender.
All aspects of the curriculum will be developed in ways that avoid the exclusion of particular groups or individuals for other than sound education reasons.
We expect behaviour to always be impeccable. Intimidating or insulting language will not be tolerated.
In recruiting staff . click apply for full job details